- P. ŻMIGRODZKI: Contribution of the Institute of Polish Language PAS to the achievements of Polish linguisticsIn the present paper which was prepared on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of establishing the Institute of Polish Language PAS the most important scientific achievements of the scholars employed in the Institute are presented: dictionaries, editorial works and scientific monographs in the field of Polish linguistics.
- P. WIATROWSKI: On a certain type of small advertisements placed in the Przewodnik Katolicki weekly in the 1930sThe article aims to describe the genre of a certain type of small advertisements to be found in Przewodnik Katolicki, the oldest Polish weekly in the 1930s. Almost 100 advertisements placed in order to take back an insult have been analysed. Their descriptions take into account the intention of the sender (the intention to disseminate information and the causative intention visible in the great majority of cases), communication set-up (direct sender, indirect sender, intended receiver, potential receiver), advertisement structure (a single-segment corpus with a graphically highlighted incipit, including one or more speech acts with the act of taking back an insult being most often represented) as well as linguistic phenomena.
- M. BUŁAWA: Evaluative function of the adjective płony in dialectsThe aim of the article is to describe and interpret the semantic development of the adjective płony in dialects. The adjective which initially meant infertile was mainly preserved in Małopolska and Silesia where it functioned as a unit expressing evaluation, to a different extent though. In the Podhale dialect the adjective płony became a unit expressing general evaluation while in the Silesian dialects a descriptive and evaluative one meaning tasteless, bland. By way of comparison the development of the unit under question has also been depicted in general Polish where metaphorical meanings unknown in dialects appeared.
- K. SIKORA: From proszę łaski pana to proszę panaIn the article the author presents his view on the origin of the forms of address like proszę pana/pani. He proves they were initially performative utterances to beg pardon for causing the interlocutor some trouble: proszę łaski wielmożnego pana / wielmożnej pani (compare German entschuldigung / entschuldigen Sie, English excuse me etc.). The conclusions are based on an analysis of lexical sources and examples from the Polish 19th and 20th century belles-lettres.
- M. OSIEWICZ: Deszcza or deszczu? Some remarks about a typesetting incident and the lesson drawn from itThe aim of the article is to verify the hypothesis about the influence of a typesetter’s work (which was greater than it has so far been assumed) on the graphical and linguistic shape of prints from the first half of 16th century. The verification is based on a comparative study of two synonymous singular genitive forms of the lexeme deszcz (Eng. rain) acknowledged in twin Polish editions of Księgi o gospodarstwie domowym (Eng. Books about the Household) by Piotr Krescentyn from the 16th century. In the first printing edition the analyzed accidental form was a result of the typesetter’s mistake he made a common typo replacing the original suffix -u with the suffix -a. In the reprint edition from 1571 the defective fragment of the text version from 1549 was corrected, but the form deszcza instead of deszczu remained unchanged.
ABOUT PHENOMENA OF CONTEMPORARY LANGUAGE
- J. Miodek: Twittowanie
- A. BAŃKOWSKI, Opuscula linguistica selecta, by W. MAŃCZAK
- D. BIEŃKOWSKA, E. UMIŃSKA-TYTOŃ, Nazewnictwo miejskie Łodzi, by M. CZACHOROWSKA
- P. ZBRÓG, Składnia podmiotu szeregowego we współczesnym języku polskim, by M. RUSZKOWSKI
- M. BIESAGA: Report from the conference The Future of Linguistics, Linguistics of the Future